Friday, June 19, 2009

Vacation...

So...
...here we go.

After almost a year of planning, FAR to much thinking about where to go and for how long we're just about to head off on our very first trip to the United States of America. The weekend has been spent packing... packing clothes, packing gear, packing tents, packing the kids off to the parents... but now everything is just about done, and all there is left to do is watch the clock tick down to takeoff time, and relax, safe in the knowledge that the only thing I have to worry about is the last day of work and having to try, most likely unsuccessfully, to look like I'm working (I mean hey - why start now?).

SO where are we going? How long are we gone? 106 nights, 12 states (feels like it should be more) and over 9000kms of driving... you'd think the sheer size of such an undertaking would be overwhelming...

Thankfully, its not - my limited intellect, along with my shocking memory combine to keep me blissfully unaware of the dreaful possibilities; What if I dont like American food? What if I dont speak the language? What if the kids come back with American accents? What if I don't like the beer...

And the greatest fear of all, given that its such a long road trip: what if I go slightly mad in an overenthusiastic dad type way and Libby starts calling me "sparky"...