Wednesday, July 29, 2009

All through the night

One thing about driving the great distances over here is that I get to listen to a lot of radio - and as you know I've found a station that plays nuthin' but 80's ALL THE TIME! One song has come back to me that has struck home more than most I haven't heard since those halcyon days...

Cyndi Laupers "All through the Night" is a great driving song... though it tends to make me too contemplative. I remember as kids you were either a Cyndi fan or Madonna fan... needless to say I was in Cyndi's camp.

As we drive theres more music though, a lot more (its amazing how much hair-metal there was in the 80's!)... passing the time... thoughts and memories as our little car segues from hour to hour, day to night and state to state, grinding away the miles through flat praries, deserts and stunning mountainscapes. Past bustling towns, abandoned gas stations, properous farms and desperate homeless...

Seeing things we may never see again and in a way we definately wont be able to again, with a wonderful 6 year old and 3 year old.

I wonder if driving this country is much different to what it would have been like if we were listening to these 80's songs when they were new, and I wonder what will be here for my lovely daughters to see if they should come this way again. Will they remember any of this? I hope so, I'd like to think that some of the wonderful memories they're helping me build will also be there for them.

This trip was always about more than just discovering America, its more about discovering our daughters and hopefully letting them discover a little more about us. Its going by fast, but as Cyndi sings "Until it ends there is no end..."