Sunday, July 5, 2009

Thats no moon...



... actually it is. Its Endor, or more precisely the moon of Endor sight of a famous battle in Return of the Jedi. It was filmer right near where we're staying in the Redwoods State park. We had the girls keeping a keen eye out for any Ewoks so I could brain them and castigate them for taking the rightful place of the Wookies in the original script for the film (how much cooler would Wookies have been! than these little pests?!)



Today was a lazy day - Jammy spent some time with Libby on her schoolwork and Lucy and I took in the local strip clubs, dive bars and crack joints. It was a helluva day, and it sure is nice of the local sherrif to let me write in my cell, and have a cot in here for Lucy too - right hospitable!


I can hear the mournful toll of the fog horn from the harbour outside the window this evening. I heard it last night as well... all night.


Normally that continuous, precise type of noise is just the type to send me right of my rocker, like a ticking clock, a dripping tap, some annoying insect or the bass from some infernal party just on the edge of hearing... but this... wasn't so bad. I lay awake and thought about the thousands of boats who have passed out of this harbour, of the few who would have found their way back only by that distant toll through the thick fog, and for the few who would never have heard it again, lost on the sea. I thought about bout how, in this part of the world, that sound is as comforting to some as a home lighthouse is to others after a long stint on the sea... and here - unlike most any other place I've been, the sea is in the lifeblood of the town, a real and everpresent beating heart, and a rough and temperamental one at that.